Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Welfare recipients face ban on spending in casinos, strip clubs

The salt lake tribune

First Published Feb 28 2013 05:01 pm • Last Updated Mar 03 2013 11:18 pm

Utah welfare recipients soon may be legally barred from using electronic benefit cards at ATMs in casinos, liquor stores and strip clubs.

The House voted 72-0 on Thursday to pass HB209 to outlaw that. It now goes to the Senate.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"We’re doing this to comply with federal law," explained Rep. Derek Brown, R-Cottonwood Heights, sponsor of the bill.

He said the state could lose its federal Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) block grant if it does not adopt such restrictions — which the federal government has called for because of abuses in other states.

Brown noted that Utah has no casinos. Most TANF recipients are also single mothers, who are not likely to spend their money at strip clubs or liquor stores.

Lee Davidson

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.