Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah cities may have more power to ban fireworks

First Published Feb 21 2013 10:52 am • Last Updated Feb 21 2013 10:55 pm

Local governments soon may have more power to ban fireworks in areas where they could cause wildfire — but also may lose power to outlaw some types of fireworks that the state says are legal.

The Senate voted 24-0 on Thursday to pass HB289, which takes both of those steps.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Because it was amended, it goes back to the House for further consideration.

The House earlier passed the bill 73-1.

Its sponsor, Rep. Jim Dunnigan, R-Taylorsville, has said current state law gives local governments the power to ban fireworks in some mountainous and hilly areas, but his bill would give them more power to ban them in areas facing high risk of wildfire around undeveloped and agricultural areas.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.