Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah bill addresses need for protective orders
First Published Feb 13 2013 05:55 pm • Last Updated Feb 13 2013 06:06 pm

The addition of two words — "or had" — will allow more people to seek protective orders under a bill that cleared the House Judiciary Committee Wednesday.

HB227, sponsored by Rep. Brad R. Wilson, R-Kaysville, would expand the definition of "cohabitant" to include a person who has or had a child — a situation that might apply when a child has been adopted or has passed away — so he or she could seek a protective order against the other parent.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

In such cases the child may be gone, but the potential danger remains, Ron Gordon, director of the Utah Council on Victims of Crime, told the committee.

Brooke Adams

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.