Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Unlawful sexual conduct age gap in Utah may narrow
First Published Feb 11 2013 09:42 pm • Last Updated Feb 12 2013 11:20 am

A bill that narrows the age difference for unlawful sexual conduct with a minor cleared a senate committee Monday.

HB10, sponsored by Rep. Richard Greenwood, R-Roy, would drop the age difference for unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year old from 10 years to seven years. The crime is either a felony or class A misdemeanor, depending on the type of conduct involved.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Standing committee unanimously approved the proposed bill. A fiscal note estimates the state will spend $61,000 in fiscal 2013 and $121,400 in fiscal 2014 in court and incarceration costs to enforce the proposed statute.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.