Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
McAdams resigns from Legislature; crowded field vying for spot
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Salt Lake County Mayor-elect Ben McAdams resigned his seat in the Utah Senate on Tuesday as contenders lined up to replace the Salt Lake City Democrat.

"My association with the senators and representatives has been wonderful and I look forward to a continued association and hope that our paths will cross again in some capacity," McAdams wrote in a letter hand-delivered to Senate President Michael Waddoups.

McAdams will serve the remainder of his term. His resignation takes effect Jan. 7, 2013.

The field of Democrats seeking to replace him in the Legislature includes several power players in Democratic politics.

Retiring Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon (whom McAdams is succeeding), Utah Democratic Party Chairman Jim Dabakis, former Salt Lake County Democratic Party Chairman Weston Clark and former Salt Lake County Councilwoman Jenny Wilson have filed for the opening.

So have outgoing state Rep. Brian Doughty, former Equality Utah Executive Director Will Carlson and Robert Comstock, a schoolteacher and former Salt Lake City mayoral candidate.

The county party has planned a special election on Dec. 1 where delegates in the Senate district will choose the replacement, who will be formally appointed by the governor.

Robert Gehrke

Politics • List of Democrats includes Corroon, Dabakis, Jenny Wilson.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.