Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah open-carry gun bill put on ice
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A controversial gun measure that would have removed local law enforcement's ability to cite a person openly carrying firearms with a disorderly conduct charge failed to make it for a final vote in the Senate late Thursday.

Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield, instead saw his measure, HB49, get sent to an interim committee for more study — even after he wrangled an agreement from police organizations not to oppose the proposal this week. However, he was never able to get them to support it.

The measure sought to strengthen Utah's open carry gun laws by allowing an individual to pack a weapon in full view without having local ordinances interfere with that right.

"I thought parties had come to an agreement," said Senate sponsor Curt Bramble, R-Provo. "But apparently that fell apart."

Bramble said the measure will be studied by either the Judiciary Committee or the Law Enforcement Committee but, unless Gov. Gary Herbert lifts it to be put in a special session, it can't be revisited until the next general session in 2013. Bramble said he didn't foresee Herbert making such a move.

The proposal had passed a second reading in the Senate on Wednesday night by a 22-4 vote, and it had cleared the House 50-21.

David Montero

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.