Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Guv vows liquor stores won’t close

Lawmakers refuse to come up with money to avert closures.



< Previous Page


Legislators’ refusal to fund state liquor stores threatens closure of as many as nine stores and reduced hours at the remaining ones, but Gov. Gary Herbert says he won’t let that happen.

Herbert had requested $1.8 million to avoid store closures for the year, but the item was not included in the budget recommendations approved Friday evening.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said he doesn’t believe that the situation at the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control is so dire and no store should close.

Auditors investigating DABC discovered that spending to administer the department had shot up more than $3.5 million over five years, he said, an unchecked slush fund without legislative authority or approval.

"If this was a big concern for DABC, I think the growth in administration could have avoided closing stores," he said.

The liquor store funding was among the issues Herbert raised with legislative leaders during a meeting with Waddoups and House Speaker Becky Lockhart on Thursday, but Waddoups didn’t budge.

"The speaker and I both told him that we don’t see it happening," Waddoups said.

But Herbert’s spokeswoman, Ally Isom, said Friday evening that the governor won’t let liquor stores close. The governor plans to use money that was intended to pay down building bonds that were never issued to keep the stores open in the coming fiscal year.

"It’s our intent to keep everything operationally the same," Isom said. "It’s a temporary Band-Aid, but the governor is determined that not one store will close."

Lawmakers cut $2.3 million from the DABC budget last year, which forced the department to scale back hours and threatened some stores with closure, before the governor stepped in with funding to keep them open.


story continues below
story continues below

After a scandal at DABC, which cost the former executive director his job, interim director Francine Giani was able to squeeze out $500,000 in savings, but that left the department $1.8 million shy of what was needed.

Lawmakers finished their work on the bulk of the state budget Friday, approving about $420 million in new spending for the coming year.

After negotiations between the House and Senate and the governor, they added $4 million to a two-year pilot project aimed at providing insurance coverage for children with autism. It is expected to cover about 700 young children.

"It’s in there if the bill passes," said Senate budget chairman Lyle Hillyard, R-Logan. "There’s a lot of concern it won’t pass."

Funding has also been included in the budget to cover additional disability services, mental health services for youth and meal delivery for the elderly.

Jan Ferre, with the Utah Legislative Coalition for People with Disabilities, said the budget covers most of the areas her group was most concerned about. She was especially pleased with the mental health funding.

State employees and public school teachers will likely not see any pay raise under the tentatively approved figures, as increased pension premiums will eat up any of the new money they would see in their checks.

The budget covers 12,500 public school students attending classes next year and increases the per-pupil funding slightly.

Kory Holdaway with the Utah Education Association said he is hopeful more money might be coming in the closing days of the session, but he would like to have seen more of the growth in the budget go toward education.

"There’s still a lot of water to go under the bridge," he said. "It’s an improvement from years past, but when you look at that in relation to the growth in revenues, there’s some additional opportunities we’re missing."

Lawmakers are also providing $30 million for state building maintenance and $22 million to renovate the electrical and heating system at the University of Utah, although that is less than half of what the university had requested.

Hillyard noted that changes could still come, and Senate Minority Leader Ross Romero, D-Salt Lake City, said his understanding is that there is still as much as $30 million that hasn’t been allocated.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.