Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Lawmakers reject uniform financial disclosures
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Lawmakers killed a bill Wednesday that would have made all elected officials in Utah use a uniform financial and conflict-of-interest disclosure form, and have them available on one state website.

The House Government Operations Committee voted 5-3 to reject HB341 by Rep. Ken Sumsion, R-American Fork, after opposition by the Utah Association of Counties, the Utah League of Cities and Towns and the Lieutenant Governor's Office.

Opponents said cities, towns and counties already have their own requirements and forms for financial disclosure. They argued most Utahns seeking them would go to those local governments instead of a state website anyway. The Lieutenant Governor's Office warned the number of such forms it would handle would skyrocket from 400 to perhaps 9,000 and require hiring an additional employee.

But Sumsion, who is running for governor, said the quality of disclosures varies greatly in the state. He said he has received complaints that they often do not clearly show financial interests that could be conflicts of interest. His proposal would have had all officials fill out the same forms used now by legislators and other state officials, and have them on one website for easier searching.

He said Utahns need to clearly "understand when a local elected official has an investment interest in a direct decision or ordinance that they are passing."

Lee Davidson

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.