Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah bill would allow the accused to keep gun
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A bill that would allow those with firearms to retain possession of them when charged with a crime — but not yet convicted — cleared the Utah House unanimously Monday.

Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, carried HB395 because he felt current law violated a person's presumption of innocence guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution and that the state was acting too quickly to require firearms be removed from gun owners who are simply charged with a crime.

He said being charged doesn't equate to guilt. "It's a huge misjustice in our system," Sandstrom said.

His measure also tackled the sale of firearms by a person convicted of a crime — as well as restrictions on who can buy guns.

Right now, it is a felony to give or sell firearms if an individual is convicted of a crime. Sandstrom's proposal would grant those individuals a chance to comply with the law without having that additional felony added just because they were trying to comply with the law.

Sandstrom's proposal also says an undocumented immigrant could not be the recipient of a firearms transfer. But it didn't address how the person selling the gun could verify the legal status of the buyer.

The proposal passed 68-0 and goes to the Senate.

dmontero@sltrib.comTwitter: @davemontero

HB395 • Sandstrom says it's a injustice to take weapons from folks charged with crime.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.