Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
House OKs warnings signs instead of roadside crosses
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

As families of some fallen Highway Patrol troopers watched Friday, the Utah House unanimously approved a new type of roadside memorial for them.

Because court cases by atheists forced the state to remove white crosses that had honored 14 fallen troopers, HB182 will replace them with warning signs — accompanied by a placard with a fallen officer's name.

The House approved it on a 70-0 vote, and sent it to the Senate.

Rep. Brad Wilson, R-Kaysville, sponsor of the bill, said it would place signs either in the area where the trooper died or in the community where the trooper lived. They would have safety messages such as reminding motorists to move over and slow down when approaching emergency vehicles.

"Last year, 21 Highway Patrol troopers were hit while working on the sides of Utah's roadway. Fortunately, none of them lost their lives," Wilson said. So he said the new signs would "serve as a memorial to the troopers who have lost their lives and will also serve as a reminder to the citizens of Utah … to drive safely."

Rep. Lee Perry, R-Perry, a Highway Patrol lieutenant, said as about 20 fellow troopers watched in the House chamber, "This means a lot to all these guys in brown … it means even more to these families who have lost loved ones."

Rep. Lavar Christensen, R-Draper, said, "It's a wonderful bill. It comes from the heart of the people of Utah."

Memorials • Families attend legislative session to see bill passed.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.