Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Child welfare bill on its way to Senate floor
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Senate Government Operations and Political Subdivisions unanimously endorsed legislation Thursday requiring a report from child welfare caseworkers removing children from the custody of family members and placing them with non-relatives.

Sponsoring Rep. Wayne Harper, R-West Jordan says HB237 stresses that a caseworker's "number one duty is to find a relative that they can place the children with" when removing them from a home.

The proposed legislation — now on its way to the full Senate — would also increase training requirements for caseworkers.

Harper says because of the influx of workers, training requirements are "the weakest area in our child welfare program."

The bill previously passed the House 70-0 and has the support of the Utah Attorney General's Office, the Office of Guardian Ad Litem, the Division of Child and Family Services, the Southerland Institute and the Utah Eagle Forum.

"Those of us who have been here for previous sessions are aware that Representative Harper has worked very diligently for over a decade with the groups involved, trying to work out what's best for families and children in welfare cases," says Sen. Margaret Dayton, R-Orem, who is Senate sponsor of the measure.

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.