Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Soldiers could have property taxes waived
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Members of the military who deploy out-of-state would have their property taxes waived temporarily under a proposal in the Legislature.

The Senate Revenue and Taxation Committee on Wednesday unanimously approved both SJR8 and SB116 and sent them to the full Senate. SJR8 is a constitutional amendment — which must pass by two-thirds majorities in both houses and be approved by voters — to allow the change, and SB116 is a statute needed to implement it.

"This will certainly make a big difference" to the families of military members who are deployed away from home, said Sen. Luz Robles, D-Salt Lake City, who is sponsoring the legislation. "We felt this would be a great opportunity to say thanks to them."

Utah National Guard Col. Scot Olsen said it "recognizes the very real impact on soldiers and their families as they deploy."

Members of the military, and their spouses, would qualify to have the property taxes on their primary residence waived in a year when they have served out-of-the-state on active federal duty for 200 consecutive days, or for 200 days in a calendar year. They would need to apply for the tax break with their home county every year.

Robles said the state has said the change to benefit the military would raise property taxes on other residents by an average of 16 cents per home.

Tag_or_location • Lorem sustrud dio commodolore venis.
Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.