Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
This undated frame screen shot from video, provided by AARP and the Ad Council, is from a public service announcement illustrating the frustration that family members can feel as they struggle to care for aging loved ones while holding down jobs, raising children and taking care of their own health. (AP Photo/AARP, Ad Council)
Editorial: Utah should help those who help their own

Aid families caring for their own.

First Published Jul 08 2014 05:01 pm • Last Updated Jul 09 2014 11:24 am

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." — President Bill Clinton, First Inaugural

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But there is, apparently, something wrong with Utah caused, accidentally, by something very right with Utah. That’s the lesson to be drawn from a new report from the organization formerly known as the American Association for Retired People — now just AARP.

Statistics from Utah add up to the conclusion that we are second from the top in terms of states who resist any urge to leave our old and disabled people in hospitals, nursing homes or other institutional care.

That’s a good thing. It is often both kinder and cheaper to care for the frail and disabled in a home setting, with family members seeing to their needs in a familiar, comfortable setting.

But we are rock bottom last in terms of providing aid and comfort for the family members who dutifully — and/or lovingly — take their physically needy relatives back into their own homes to care for them as best they can.

Thus does no good deed go unpunished in Utah.

The state’s family-friendly vibe encourages more of our friends and neighbors to take in their own relatives rather than leave them to the care of public facilities. That’s not only kinder, it also is a big savings to taxpayers and premium payers who would otherwise be on the hook for hospital, nursing home and rehab care.

It would be only fair, then, if the state were to provide more relatively inexpensive support services for family caregivers. That would include such things as paying visiting health care professionals to perform some tasks such as helping with feeding tubes, catheters or administering medications.

It would also mean providing some relief care so that family members can take a break from their responsibilities, even if only for a few hours. What drags Utah down in the AARP ratings is that 43 percent of those caring for relatives feel stressed, overwhelmed and alone.

story continues below
story continues below

Even the most caring and affectionate spouse, child or parent cannot be expected to always be up to the financial and emotional strain of caring for elderly or disabled relatives. They need relief, training and the best information available.

Those who care for their own are not just helping their families. They are helping all of us. We should return the favor.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.