Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Utah has poor record for funding schools
First Published Jun 27 2014 11:31 am • Last Updated Jun 27 2014 11:31 am

Again, Rep. Ken Ivory pounds the pulpit with "Utah is more than $2.5 billion below average in per-pupil funding for education because [of federal lands]."

Pretend that Utah’s federal lands do not exist. What remains is a state of about 35,550 square miles. There are four other states of about that same size. Those states rank 4th, 9th, 11th and 15th in percent of personal income going to education, while Utah ranks only about 30th.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

About 20 years ago Utah ranked about 10th in the nation in effort to fund public education, but since then our Legislature has consistently made changes that have resulted in less effort to fund public education.

With that record, I sincerely doubt that privatizing federal lands or turning them over to the state would result in any increased effort to fund education.

Fred Ash


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.