Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Where’s the highway money, Congress?
First Published Jun 06 2014 04:57 pm • Last Updated Jun 06 2014 04:57 pm

As I recall, the gasoline tax enacted in June 1956 (The National Interstate and Defense Highway System Act, public law 84.627 )was to be put in a trust fund to be used for highways and related structures only.

Over the years our "lawmakers" saw the huge pot of money sitting there and decided to divert it to other uses and programs. Now what in the world makes anyone think that Congress can fix the problem with new programs and laws.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Any new laws regarding highway usage, regardless of how well intended, will only result in more money spent anywhere Congress chooses to spend it. If you can tell me where I might be incorrect, please let me know.

Robert Edwards


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.