Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: No troglodytes needed for U. fight song
First Published May 02 2014 05:02 pm • Last Updated May 02 2014 05:02 pm

Ever since I was a fair coed in the 1960’s, I have always thought it strange to sing, "I am a Utah man."

If the University of Utah had started out as a women’s college, whose "fight song" began, "I am a Utah woman and I live across the green," you can be sure that, as soon as men were let in, the words would have changed instantly, because no man, then or now, wants to sing, "I am a Utah woman." It’s just as absurd for a female to proclaim in song or otherwise, "I am a Utah man."

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

As for the other lyrics (all probably penned by a handful of frat boys over many beers back in pre-Title 9 days), if men can stand to call themselves jolly, I see no reason women shouldn’t still be fair. But it’s time to teach the new kids that they’re "a Utah fan," not "a Utah man." And everyone who isn’t a troglodyte can just start singing it that way at games.

Betty Schoeffler

Salt Lake City

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.