Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Feds do pay states for public lands
First Published Apr 30 2014 04:36 pm • Last Updated Apr 30 2014 05:29 pm

"Payments in Lieu of Taxes" (PILT) are federal payments to local governments that help offset income loss. PILT recognizes the inability of local governments to collect property taxes on federally owned lands that could create a financial impact to local communities.

The federal government has distributed more than $6.3 billion since 1977. Nevada alone has received $375 million in PILT since 1977. In Nevada, in 2013, $23,331,913 was allocated. Clark County alone received $4,826,655.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Under the Taylor Grazing Act of 1976, ranchers are granted permits and receive "preference" to renew at the end of 10 years. They do not obtain title to federal lands nor do they have exclusive rights to federal lands.

Cliven Bundy and his lawless cohorts should recognize the amount of federal money given to Clark County. He should pay his grazing fees according to the Taylor Grazing Act and abide by the established laws. If he still owes $1 million in grazing fees, he should be denied participation in federal lands use until he completes the payments.

Dell Vaughn McDonald


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.