Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: How about banning single parents?
First Published Apr 14 2014 09:17 am • Last Updated Apr 14 2014 09:17 am

Our attorney general’s attack on marriage equality and adoption is based on a notion that different-sex couples provide better parenting than gay couples (a skewing of findings that show that two parents are generally better than one).

If dual-sex parents are the gold standard and Utah can tolerate nothing less, then we’ll need to eliminate single-parent households.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But good news! Since marriage’s purpose is to raise children, there’s a simple solution. In cases of unwed mothers, parental death or divorce, children should be taken from the now-unworthy single parent, and forcibly placed into the custody of one of those childless couples that we haven’t yet figured out how to keep from getting married.

If the reasons for denying gay marriage are valid, and we are all equal, then straight people — and their kids — are in for some very bad times.

Jim Hayes

Salt Lake City

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.