Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: U. of U. fight song needs updating
First Published Apr 14 2014 09:17 am • Last Updated Apr 14 2014 09:17 am

University of Utah men, we are finally busted. It’s about time ("University of Utah weighing changes to ‘discriminatory’ fight song," Tribune, April 8)

The school’s student council has voted to change the lyrics of our fight song "Utah Man." As in "I am a Utah man, sir ..." Utah "man" is sexist and discriminatory and in this time, changes must be made.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

It’s a really great song, so we just need to change a few words here and there.

How about, "I am a Utah person, sir"? But then we still have the piggy word "sir" to deal with.

May I propose this: we preserve the phonetic sound of "man sir" but change to the old archaic Saxon word "mancer." It means inspired leader.

Utah mancers, Utah do-da day,

Utah mancers, yippy yo ky yay,

Ky Yie!

Michael Greer

Cottonwood Heights

story continues below
story continues below

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.