Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: No need for more prison beds if marijuana decriminalized
First Published Mar 08 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Mar 08 2014 01:01 am

The Legislature is warning us that Utah’s prisons will soon be overcrowded. They say we need to spend millions of dollars to expand the prison at Gunnison and move the Draper prison.

Here’s a way Utah can save, and even make, tons of money: Decriminalize the possession of marijuana in small amounts. Allow the sale and use of medical marijuana. Release prisoners who have been incarcerated for minor, non-violent drug possession offenses.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Voila! No need to expand or move the prisons! It also would be a big step toward Republicans’ goal of shrinking the state government. It seems like a win-win to me.

Carl B. Clark


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.