Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Utah GOP wants to tax Utahns more, reject taxes already paid for Medicaid
First Published Mar 07 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Mar 07 2014 01:01 am

I am as disgusted with the Republican Party in Utah as it is possible to be. The tea party faction, in typical self-destructive mode, wants to turn down the $535 million the feds are offering for medical help for the working poor. They want to tax us another $30 million to help far fewer people ("Will Utah’s lawmakers take action on Medicaid this session?" Tribune, March 5).

Turning down this money would not cut 1 cent from the deficit, but no matter. Gov. Gary Herbert, representing the business wing, says now hold on there. There is money to be made off the poor. Let’s take this as a block grant, give a bunch of it to our campaign contributors, and whatever is left over can be spent on medical services.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Taking all of the money and spending it all on medical services for the working poor is not even considered.

Clark McCune

Salt Lake City

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.