Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Utah takes federal money, as long as it’s not for the poor
First Published Mar 05 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Mar 05 2014 01:01 am

The Utah Republican Legislature is having a rough time deciding how to expand Medicaid to help the poorest Utahns get health insurance. Gov. Gary Herbert wants to accept federal funds to cover these people.

Our great Speaker Becky Lockhart disagrees. She says it’s an Obamacare expansion to get Utah hooked on federal health care dollars. I guess she knows this is tax money originally sent to the feds by Utahns, but I am not sure if she does.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

I wonder what would happen if this were the Obama Developer Expansion Act offering between $500 million and $800 million to developers in Utah for various developments such as moving and building a new prison. Then would our Republican Legislature be upset? Yes, because it wouldn’t be enough.

If you’re poor in Utah, good luck.

Dick Dennis

Salt Lake City

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.