I learned some helpful facts recently regarding the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
1. You can view health care plans without applying. Go to healthcare.gov., click on individual plans, "see plans before I apply," enter your zip code, the number of people in your family, and your family income. The website will quickly show plans.
2. If you see a plan you like, you can click on it for details which will take you to the company website (Humana, SelectHealth, etc), with a phone number you can call for details and ask a real human your questions.
3. All plans have the same minimum standards and cannot turn you or a family member away for a pre-existing condition.
4. You only need to go through the ACA (healthcare.gov) to take advantage of premium subsidies. You are eligible for subsidies if your income is less than $45,000 for an individual, $62,000 for a family of two, or $94,000 for a family of four. Subsidies can be significant.
5. "ehealthinsurance.com" is a great place to compare these policies.
Open enrollment is only until March 31. Act now to check your options.
Salt Lake City
Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.