Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Editorial: Utah’s open-admissions schools need taxpayer help

Open-admissions schools need help

First Published Feb 08 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Feb 09 2014 10:24 am

There’s no doubt about the importance of open-access, career-oriented colleges and universities to Utah’s goal of preparing youth for good jobs and productive lives.

Salt Lake Community College, Dixie State University, Utah Valley University, Snow College, Weber State University, Southern Utah University – all these institutions focus on student achievement. Their faculties put teaching ahead of research. That is their mission, and they are the linchpins of the state’s campaign to help two-thirds of all adults in the state with degrees or certificates by 2020.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But to continue accepting all students, with varying levels of scholastic ability and a range of backgrounds, and to give all of them the skills they need to compete in a global job marketplace, these institutions are making a good case at the Legislature for an infusion of money.

Funding for Utah colleges and universities shifted more than 13 percent from state appropriations to higher tuition during recession years. Tuition increases ranged from 5 percent to 10 percent during those years.

While tuition is higher at all Utah colleges and universities, the workhorse institutions have been disproportionately hard-hit. Across the country, junior colleges are funded about 70 percent from state allocations and 30 percent from tuition. In Utah, the research universities, University of Utah and Utah State University, get a larger percentage of their funding from the state than do the open-access institutions.

At WSU, Dixie, SUU and SLCC, for example, the percentages are about 50-50 state funding vs. tuition, and the split is about 40-60 at UVU. That makes it difficult them to attract low-income, older, and minority students – those students they are tasked to serve.

A proposal from the Utah Board of Regents called "Acute Equity" would funnel $69 million from the state to these colleges and universities, based on $4,800 per student, to reach a more appropriate ratio. Perhaps surprisingly, Utah State University and the University of Utah, which would not benefit directly from such a reallocation, also support it.

That’s because those top-tier research universities benefit from transfer students from SLCC and other colleges who are ready for upper-division work and graduate programs. About 70 percent of SLCC’s students who transfer after completing basic courses go to the U., and many others to USU.

Administrators at the research institutions see the value of keeping Utah’s system of higher education accessible to all Utahns. It aligns nicely with Gov. Gary Herbert’s and the Utah business community’s goal of a well-educated workforce in just six years. Legislators should pass the proposal.

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.