Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: Politicians should provide solutions
First Published Feb 08 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Feb 08 2014 08:42 am

Becky Lockhart, Gary Herbert, or anyone running for statewide office, should tell us what they intend to do about these long-term Utah problems:

Utah is one of the worst in the nation for: air quality, gender pay inequality, voter turnout.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Utah is one of the highest in the nation for: autism rates, prison recidivism rates and prescription drug abuse.

Utah is last in the nation for: per-pupil funding and women with bachelor’s degrees.

I shudder to think what else Utah is first and last at. This dreary reality makes a lie of both Mormon and Republican stereotypes as competent managers of business or government. Shall we keep pretending that our state is being well-run?

It would seem a tall order for any tailor to fabricate "emperor’s new clothes" for an entire political party, and yet — voila’! — it is already done!

David Scown


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.