Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: ‘Marriage’ taken; gay couples should find a new word
First Published Jan 17 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Jan 17 2014 01:01 am

I have searched every dictionary I can find and have checked all the references in the Bible to find "same sex marriage" and it is nowhere to be found. "Marriage" refers to a relation between a man and a woman who have become husband and wife or to the ceremony marking this union. Therefore the phrase "same sex marriage" does not legally exist.

Those same-sex couples who want to use the word "marriage" could avoid a lot of conflict if they found their own name, or word, for their union. File it with the government to make it legal, then they could issue a legal document so they can get the same benefits that married people have.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

But please don’t discriminate against those of us who are legally and lawfully married to a person of the opposite sex. You really don’t want to be known as a thief for stealing our name.

Arlene Griffiths


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.