Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: If marriage is a right, then nothing to do with state
First Published Jan 16 2014 01:11 pm • Last Updated Jan 16 2014 01:11 pm

This may come as a shock to most people, but there is no "right" to marriage. By definition, anything that requires us to receive permission from the state is not a right, but a privilege granted to us by the state.

Last I checked you must obtain a license from the state asking for permission to get married. Only licensed marriages are valid. Just like getting a license to drive, have a business or work at some professions, it is a privilege granted to us by the state.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

If we want to identify the ability to marry whoever we want a "right," no matter the noble reason for doing so, then by definition the state must get out of the business of granting marriage licenses, and hence recognizing marriages of any kind.

Is that what we really want? Once marriage is recognized as a right, the government will have no choice.

Mark Athay


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.