Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Letter: State, not churches, should recognize gay marriage
First Published Jan 09 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Jan 09 2014 01:01 am

We were legally married May 22, 2008, in Victoria, British Columbia. Once we came back to Utah we were no longer legally married and we were OK with that, because we were married in our hearts, and in our hearts God had sanctified our wedding.

We didn’t need a church to tell us that, as our relationship with God is personal and is what matters. Plus we knew our marriage was honored in other places (now by our federal government, just this year, five years after our wedding).

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Same-sex couples are not asking to have their marriages sanctified by churches. We are asking for the state of Utah to sanctify our marriages so we have the rights and privileges to take care of ourselves and each other in our marriages. That’s what this is all about. It’s quite simple, really!

Billy and Jon Lewis-Croft

South Salt Lake

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.