Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Replace Obamacare
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Life, death and health care should not be in the hands of government. Here's what to replace Obamacare with:

Health care needs to be returned to the private sector. Whether you're buying a new laptop or health care, real competition is the best guarantee of quality and better price. Health care consumers should be free to buy both medical insurance and medical care from anywhere in the country.

Needs and price are the leading factors for health care consumers. Medical insurance available in states with less mandates will be cheaper. This will in no way restrict the level of insurance coverage consumers may choose. Groups can continue to negotiate for better prices for medical insurance and medical care. Employers can continue to buy insurance for their employees or convert employee coverage into vouchers.

Medicaid and Medicare qualifiers can continue to use that form of government medical insurance or convert it into vouchers and shop for medical insurance and medical care like everyone else. Health savings accounts should be expanded to adequate levels. Both medical care and medical insurance should be tax free for everybody. Government's role is ensuring the free market without price fixing.

Frederick Anderson

Salt Lake City

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.