Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Denying birth control
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

I have had it with the nation's Catholic bishops who rejected the federal government's most recent attempt to provide female employees who work for their nonprofit organizations the opportunity to get free contraceptive health care through a separate plan that the nonprofits don't pay for ("Bishops press for broader birth control exemption" (Tribune, Feb. 8).

The feds developed a way that they would not have to pay for the coverage, and still the bishops moan that they are "forced to violate their morally well-informed consciences," according to Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

No one's forcing anyone to do anything. A service that the nation's doctors deem essential to a woman's health care is available should a women choose it. It is the bishops who want to force their female employees to do without a choice.

The bishops whine about their religious rights. Well, what about the rights of their employees who want a health care plan that affords them contraception, which a vast majority of Catholics use? Shouldn't they, too, have a choice?

The administration is bending over backward to accommodate the bishops, but they are out to pick a fight. Grow up!

Neil McCormick

Salt Lake City

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.