Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Anonymous donors
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Here we go again. Remember last fall when big super PACs were funded by anonymous millionaire and billionaire donors and ran ads to try to influence voters? Well, they're doing it again.

Americans for a Strong Defense is one of several new conservative groups financed by anonymous donors and running ads urging Democratic senators to vote against Chuck Hagel, President Barack Obama's nominee for secretary of Defense.

Another, Use Your Mandate, presents itself as a liberal gay-rights group, but curiously, it purchases its TV time through a prominent Republican firm to attack Hagel in ads and mailings as "anti-gay," "anti-woman" and "anti-Israel." Such underhanded deception stinks, and we should be able to know who's behind it.

I'm not against rich people spending money to express their opinions. But it's unhealthy for our democracy for these donors to be anonymous. Congress should require that donors and their donation amounts be public information.

It's a simple idea, and that Republicans block such bills tells a lot about their views of our system. They're fine with secret deals with fat cats, the people be damned.

I wish Sen. Orrin Hatch would cross over the aisle and support a good-government bill like this.

Brian Roberts


Article Tools

 Print Friendly
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.