The editorial "Recycling bonanza" (Our View, July 8) gave high praise to the "myriad" thrift stores that provide our community with recycling options. As a proud volunteer with Assistance League of Salt Lake City, I would like to give this organization a super thumbs-up.
Not only do we provide a venue for recycling gently used items, but we take the funds earned at our Thrift Shop on 3300 South to provide:
• brand new school clothing for more than 5,000 underprivileged children,
• free dental work for children,
• books for Headstart, Odyssey House, and Utah School for the Deaf and Blind,
• layettes for newborns,
• clothing for people as they return to work, looking for brighter tomorrows,
• entertainment in nursing homes, and
• survivor kits for victims of sexual assault.
Eighty-three cents of every dollar earned at the Thrift Shop helps kids and adults in need. All the work is done by a truly dedicated group of volunteers.
Salt Lake City