Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
UHP solves mystery of how bloody drunk man got inside Capitol
Security breach » Employee on break had left door unlocked.
First Published Aug 29 2014 09:39 am • Last Updated Aug 29 2014 01:31 pm

The Utah Capitol’s executive office building normally is locked and secure, so Utah Highway Patrol troopers on Friday were briefly mystified about just how a bloodied drunk man ended up inside.

UHP Sgt. Todd Royce said the "breach of security" was discovered about 4:30 a.m. Friday when a janitor came upon the 24-year-old Layton man, lying semi-conscious near a stairwell in the sixth floor lobby of the State Office Building.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Troopers, who are charged with security of the Capitol grounds, didn’t get much help from the sodden intruder in figuring out how the breach occurred: he was too inebriated to remember.

All that seemed certain was that the man had attended Thursday night’s Idaho State-Utah football game, as he was found in possession of a game pass. UHP also believes he may have been dropped off by a cab.

At any rate, Royce said that by late Friday morning UHP had solved the case after reviewing security camera video feeds.

"About 1 a.m. [Friday] a trooper doing his rounds up there had checked the door and secured it, but shortly thereafter a [building] employee left on break through the door," he said. The door was apparently left unlocked for about 30 minutes.

"We think [The intruder] just happened to come along and find an open door as he was trying to find a place to get in out of the elements," Royce said.

The man was checked out by paramedics, treated for a superficial facial wound and released to his father pending charges likely to include public intoxication and trespassing.

The incident will result in a reminder for the building’s employees from their managers about making sure they lock doors as they leave.

"We take our security for the Capitol complex very seriously," Royce said. "This was a breach of security, and it led to a review and [commitment to] better practices in the future."

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.