Quantcast
Home » News » Justice
Home » News » Justice

Utah woman hopes good comes from her poison tea ordeal

First Published Aug 29 2014 07:13AM      Last Updated Aug 29 2014 11:28 pm

(Jan and Jim Harding. Courtesy photo)

Jan Harding — who swallowed tea mixed with lye at a South Jordan restaurant nearly three weeks ago — wants something good to come from the ordeal that nearly killed her.

Speaking publicly for the first since she drank the caustic brew, Harding said Friday she hopes the restaurant industry will make changes to keep anything similar from happening again.

Harding said that at one point, "I asked God if I wasn’t going to make it through this if He would send an angel to help me through it. But I never saw an angel. I never saw a bright light. And I knew I would be OK."



Meanwhile, prosecutors said Friday they expect to decide next week on what charges to file in connection with the episode, which occurred at the Dickey’s restaurant at 689 W. South Jordan Parkway.

On Aug. 10, Harding and her husband were lunching at Dickey’s when she took one sip of her sweet iced tea and began gagging and coughing.

The 67-year-old woman suffered burns to her mouth and esophagus. Doctors at University Hospital had to insert a breathing tube. It was six days before she could speak again.

She left the hospital Aug. 23.

Employees at Dickey’s quickly discovered that an industrial degreasing solution — apparently mistaken for sugar — had been mixed into the tea, according to police. The solution was 67 percent sodium hydroxide, which is the active ingredient in drain cleaner, commonly known as lye.

Harding said Friday at a news conference streamed live by KUTV2 that all chemicals should contain a dye or colored crystals to differentiate them from food items.

And cleaning agents should be clearly labeled and not be stored anywhere near the kitchen, she added.

"I’m hoping to see and hear some good come of this ... see [restaurants] become proactive to keep this from happening to anyone else," she said.

There was no hint of it Friday in Harding’s clear, calm voice, but the lye burned her mouth and esophagus and caused her airway to swell shut.

Doctors initially feared she might die.

When her breathing tube was removed after several days at the hospital, Harding said she could not swallow her own saliva, which had to be suctioned away. And there was a tube to suck everything out of her stomach.

"I could not brush my teeth for seven days," she said.

Harding was sent home on her 46th wedding anniversary. She said she watched a movie and danced with her husband.

But she could still face complications.

Doctors will probe her esophagus next week looking for scar tissue that might impair her ability to swallow, she said.

 

 

» Next page... 2 One page

 

 

comments powered by Disqus