Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Courtesy photo) Jim and Jan Harding
Woman who drank poison tea released from hospital
First Published Aug 23 2014 09:07 pm • Last Updated Aug 23 2014 10:39 pm

Jan Harding, who swallowed tea made with lye at a South Jordan barbecue restaurant, was released from the hospital on Saturday.

University Hospital spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor confirmed Harding was discharged Saturday morning.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Harding’s attorney, Paxton Guymon, said in an email: "She still has a lot of tests and procedures to go through, but she is doing much better."

On Aug. 10, Harding, 67, and her husband went to lunch at Dickey’s Barbecue, 689 W. South Jordan Parkway. She filled her cup with sweet iced tea. After one sip, she began gagging and coughing.

Her husband, Jim Harding, said his wife sputtered, " I think I drank acid."

She suffered burns to her mouth and esophagus. Doctors at University Hospital had to insert a breathing tube. It was six days before she could speak again.

Within an hour, police have said, employees at Dickey’s discovered what had been mixed with the tea: an industrial degreasing solution, mistaken for sugar, comprised of 67 percent sodium hydroxide — the active ingredient in drain cleaner, commonly known as lye.

ncarlisle@sltrib.com

Twitter: @natecarlisle




Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.