Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Attorney Paxton Guymon holds a photograph of Jim and Jan Harding during a news conference in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014. Jan Harding, 67, is in critical condition at a Salt Lake City hospital's burn unit, unable to talk and fighting for her life, Guymon said. She drank sweet tea containing a toxic cleaning chemical, severely burning her mouth and throat at a Utah restaurant after an employee mistook the substance for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser, Guymon said. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer) (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
Woman poisoned by tea at Utah restaurant can now speak
Accident » Victim continues to show signs of improvement, her lawyer says.
First Published Aug 17 2014 06:42 pm • Last Updated Aug 29 2014 09:18 am

For the first time since she accidentally drank lye at a Dickey’s Barbecue, Jan Harding spoke.

Her family attorney, Paxton Guymon, confirmed as much in an email Sunday.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"She is showing signs of improvement," though he added that her voice is strained.

Her speech marks a second day of improvement for the 67-year-old retired school teacher. On Saturday, Guymon confirmed that she was able to whisper and get out of bed, the first encouraging signs after days of no improvements.

A week ago, Harding suffered severe burns to her mouth and throat after taking a sip of sweet tea at a South Jordan Dickey’s; apparently, a preliminary investigation showed that an employee had mixed lye into the tea thinking it was sugar, Guymon has said.

The cleaning product is meant for degreasing deep fryers and contains the odorless chemical lye, the active ingredient in drain cleaners.

Her husband and their three adult children have been at her bedside, praying for her recovery from the deep, ulcerated burns in her upper esophagus that have left her in critical condition at University Hospital.

South Jordan Cpl. Sam Winkler said police are waiting to see what happens with Harding’s condition before moving forward with possible arrests or charges.

Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants Inc. said in a statement late Friday that it was an isolated incident and nothing like it had happened in the 73 years the Dallas-based chain has operated. The South Jordan restaurant remains open after county health officials inspected it and found all chemicals properly labeled and separated from food items.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.


story continues below
story continues below

mmcfall@sltrib.com

Twitter: @mikeypanda



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.