Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
A sign is shown at Dickey's Barbecue Pit Thursday, Aug. 14, 2014, in South Jordan, Utah. Police say a woman was in extremely critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with an industrial cleaning chemical at Dickey's Barbecue Pit. South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler says the 67-year-old woman was eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit on Sunday when she poured herself a glass of tea from the beverage bar. Winkler says the woman took a sip and her mouth started burning. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
Woman hurt drinking iced tea with lye improves
First Published Aug 16 2014 05:25 pm • Last Updated Aug 16 2014 11:13 pm

A woman who unknowingly drank iced tea laced with an industrial cleaning solution at a South Jordan restaurant has whispered and gotten out of bed, her lawyer said Saturday.

The progress marks the first sign of improvement for Jan Harding since the 67-year-old was rushed to a hospital nearly a week ago with severe burns to her mouth and throat, according to family attorney Paxton Guymon.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The heavy-duty cleaner that ended up in the sweetened iced tea Harding drank Sunday at a Dickey’s Barbecue was unintentionally mixed into a bag of sugar, which a worker later added into the iced tea dispenser, authorities have said.

Harding’s breathing tube has been removed, and she was doing well without it, Guymon said in an email.

She had not been able to speak in days, nor had she been on her feet before standing briefly with the help of nurses, according to Guymon. "Everyone is more optimistic today," he wrote. "Any such sign of improvement is good news."

Her husband and their three adult children have been at her bedside, praying for her recovery from the deep, ulcerated burns in her upper esophagus that have left her in critical condition at University Hospital.

The cleaning product is meant for degreasing deep fryers and contains the odorless chemical lye, the active ingredient in drain cleaners.

South Jordan Cpl. Sam Winkler said police are waiting to see what happens with Harding’s condition before moving forward with any arrests or charges.

Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants Inc. said in a statement late Friday that it was an isolated incident and nothing like it had happened in the 73 years the Dallas-based chain has operated.

"There is nothing more important to us than the trust and safety of our guests," the statement said, adding that the franchise owner, John Thomson, was deeply saddened and is cooperating with authorities.


story continues below
story continues below

Police have determined Harding was the only victim, Winkler said. It appears she was the first to drink the tea, and Dickey’s employees disposed of it after she was burned, he said.

The restaurant remains open after county health officials inspected it and found all chemicals properly labeled and separated from food items.



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.