Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Layton man suffers burned hands trying to douse grease fire

First Published Aug 15 2014 06:31AM      Last Updated Aug 15 2014 09:33 am

Quick-acting crews contained a house fire to the kitchen late Thursday night, but not before a male resident suffered burns to his hands trying to douse the flames himself.

Layton Fire Department spokesman Douglas Bitton said the blaze broke out at 10:20 p.m. as the 27-year-old man was cooking in the home at 423 N. Owens Street. At some point during the process, he fell asleep.

"He woke up to smoke coming from the kitchen and saw flames coming from the pan on the stove," Bitton said. "He grabbed the burning pan, spilling burning debris near the fridge, and [then took] the pan to the sink where water was applied."



That action caused the flames to flash in the sink area, spreading the fire and burning the man’s hands.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which caused an estimated $8,000 in damage.

The man was taken by ambulance to the University of Utah Burn Center in Salt Lake City for treatment.

Bitton said there were two lessons to be learned from the incident. First, "never, ever place water on a grease fire," and second, "a common companion at the stove top should be a lid; this can smother a small grease fire."

Having an approved fire extinguisher in the kitchen area also is a good idea, Bitton said.

In all, 21 firefighters battled the blaze.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

 

 

 

 

comments powered by Disqus