Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Poisoned tea traced to sugar mixup; Utah victim critical

First Published Aug 14 2014 11:14AM      Last Updated Aug 15 2014 07:56 am

A woman remained in critical condition Thursday after drinking sweet tea that contained a toxic industrial cleaning chemical — which was apparently mistaken by an employee for sugar — at a South Jordan restaurant.

The attorney representing the 67-year-old woman’s family, Paxton Guymon, identified the woman as Jan Harding. In four days, the retired school teacher has not improved, Guymon said.

Guymon said in a statement that preliminary investigations indicate that a large quantity of "a powerful cleaning product known as Clean Force Fryer Cleaner were mixed into the iced tea drink dispenser at the restaurant… Apparently, the cleaning product was mixed into the iced tea dispenser by an employee thinking it was sugar, which has a similar appearance."



Guymon said during an afternoon news conference that six cups of lye were mixed into the iced tea. He said he was shocked that the lye-based cleaning agent was kept so close to the food preparation area.

"[The investigation] is going to take a little bit of time," said South Jordan police Cpl. Sam Winkler on Thursday morning.

Police are working with the store’s management to talk to not only the employees who were on shift during the incident, but the one before, as well. The management is also pulling all of the restaurant’s video footage, to see if it offers any insight, Winkler said.

Harding was eating at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, 689 W. South Jordan Parkway, about 1 p.m. Sunday when she poured a glass of sweet tea from the self-service beverage bar, according to Winkler.

"She takes a sip, and her mouth instantly starts burning," Winkler said.

Harding turned to her husband, Jim, and exclaimed "I think I just drank acid!" according to a statement from Guymon.

She tried to spit out the tea, but her mouth and throat suffered severe burns, Winkler said. Her husband took her to a nearby hospital, and she was flown to University Hospital’s burn unit.

The chemical is 67 percent sodium hydroxide, commonly known as lye, Winkler said. It is used to clean grease off the restaurant’s fryers and appears to have been mixed with the tea accidentally.

The restaurant was cooperating with the investigation, Winkler said.

Harding, who is a retired school teacher, is intubated at the hospital and is unable to speak, Guymon said. Doctors plan on checking the damage to her esophagus and stomach, and may perform surgery on her Friday to repair any perforations, Guymon said.

Surgery on someone who is already in a weakened state like Harding’s can be traumatic though, he said. Right now her family is not discussing a lawsuit, and instead focusing their energy on her, the attorney said.

Cards and encouraging phone calls have been pouring in for Harding, said Dan Walker, the executive director of the Salt Lake Baptist Association, in a statement Wednesday.

"By the grace of God the doctor on duty [when she arrived] was the Chief of the U of U Burn Unit himself. They went to work immediately and have not stopped since," Walker said.

 

 

» Next page... 2 One page

 

 

comments powered by Disqus