Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah teens arrested trying to rob same store twice in 24 hours, police say
Crime » The clerk recognized them from the previous robbery.
First Published Aug 13 2014 01:25 pm • Last Updated Aug 14 2014 09:53 pm

Two teens were arrested Wednesday morning after they allegedly tried to rob a Taylorsville smoke shop for a second time in a 24-hour period.

When the teens, males ages 17 and 19, appeared outside Lucky’s Smoke Shop at 4128 S. Carriage Square (about 1750 West) Wednesday morning, the clerk recognized them as the two who had allegedly robbed her at gunpoint the previous morning, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"Usually people grab something and run away, but this time was different. They came with a gun," said shop owner Juma Alsiwedi, whose wife, Maribel, was working the counter during the robbery on Tuesday.

Before the suspects could enter the store Wednesday, Maribel locked the doors and called the cops.

"She did a good job," Juma said.

Unified Police responded to the emergency call at 10:46 a.m., exactly three minutes before they had responded to an emergency call from the same clerk about the same suspects the day before.

"I’ve seen it happen a couple times in my career," Hoyal said. "It’s very seldom you have the kind of crime where they come back to same business almost exactly 24 hours later."

This time, there was no escape for the suspects.

Officers from both the Unified and West Valley City police departments responded quickly and set up a perimeter, Hoyal said. The two suspects tried to flee after they were spotted crossing 4100 South.

One of the suspects was arrested in the parking lot behind a Kmart and the other was apprehend after he emerged from the Redwood Apartments wearing a change of clothes, Hoyal said.

story continues below
story continues below

A pistol was recovered in the Kmart parking lot.

The teens were arrested on suspicion of aggravated robbery. The 19-year-old was booked into the Salt Lake County jail while the 17-year-old was booked into Salt Lake Valley Detention Center for juveniles, Hoyal said.


Twitter: @Harry_Stevens

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.