Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Central Utah man charged with trying to kill deputies
Courts » Dash cams show he “hunted” or “targeted” officers with his truck, charges say.
First Published Aug 08 2014 04:47 pm • Last Updated Aug 08 2014 09:20 pm

A Millard County man has been charged with allegedly trying to kill and injure officers with his pickup truck.

George Finlinson, 42, was charged in 4th District Court on Friday with two counts of attempted aggravated murder and nine counts of aggravated assault, as well as assault by a prisoner, failure to stop at the command of an officer, interference with an arresting officer and driving on a revoked license. He could face up to life in prison if convicted on the attempted aggravated murder counts.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The Utah County Sheriff’s Office investigated the incidents, and found that the dash cams show Finlinson "intentionally ‘hunted’ or ‘targeted’ law enforcement personnel using his vehicle as a weapon," the charges read. "… The speeds and force the suspect used would likely cause serious bodily injury or death."

On July 29, mental health professionals and Finlinson’s family asked Millard County deputies to help them take the Oak City man to a doctor, according to the charges.

Deputies and Adult Probation and Parole officers — Finlinson already had a warrant for his arrest — found him in Oak City and tried to pull him over in his pickup. But despite the lights, sirens and verbal commands to stop, Finlinson kept driving.

They followed him to a dirt road with a dead end. But Finlinson turned around and crashed into the deputies’ vehicles while trying to get away, according to the charges.

"At times [Finlinson] would stop and reverse his vehicle ramming into the deputies vehicles. Deputies would try to get away from the suspect but the suspect would chase them with his vehicle," the charges read.

Officers fired shots, striking Finlinson at least once. Still, he fought officers as they moved in to subdue him, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office, and one deputy sustained minor injuries.

Deputies eventually subdued him with a Taser and he was taken to a hospital. He was then transferred to Wasatch Mental Health for treatment, and remains there, the charges add.

Finlinson is due to make his first court appearance Aug. 25.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @mikeypanda

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.