Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Utah man who caused deadly, fiery crash sentenced to prison
Courts » Westminster College student died in fiery crash day before her birthday.
First Published Aug 04 2014 07:21 pm • Last Updated Aug 05 2014 09:06 am

In a few hours, the man who killed her 26-year-old daughter would be sentenced in 3rd District Court, but as she waited outside the court-room before the sentencing Monday, Mary Waters wore a mask of composure.

Before the sun had come up on Salt Lake City on Jan. 6, 2011, Waters’ daughter, Julie Jorgenson, was rear-ended by a pickup that was barreling down 500 South. Jorgenson had been waiting for the light at 300 East to turn green.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The driver, Shane Roy Gillette, collided with Jorgensen at 70 mph. He had been smoking marijuana, and he could not see through his frost-coated windshield. There was no evidence he tried to brake, an investigator said.

In the fiery aftermath, Jorgenson’s body was so badly burned that the medical examiner took two weeks to positively identify her.

The next day, Jorgenson, who was pursuing an MBA at Westminster College, would have turned 27. Mary Waters had made plans to visit Salt Lake for her daughter’s birthday and teach her to bake banana bread.

All Waters wanted, she said before the sentencing, was justice. "For a life, there needs to be significant consequences," Waters said. "I’m hoping for some prison."

About three hours later, Judge Denise Lindberg handed down the maximum penalty of up to 10 years in prison, plus $5,000 in restitution to Jorgenson’s family.

Gillette, 38, had pleaded guilty on June 10 to one count of manslaughter and another count of operating a vehicle negligently causing injury or death, both third-degree felonies.

At the sentencing, Gillette’s attorney Scott Wilson urged that his client be given probation.

Wilson argued that Gillette was not impaired by the trace amount of marijuana in his system, but rather was suffering from paranoid delusions that morning. There was no other explanation for Gillette’s behavior: getting into his truck on a 14-degree morning without putting on shoes, socks or a shirt, and apparently fleeing from his house "like a bat out of hell, going over 70 mph, with no place to go," Wilson said.

story continues below
story continues below

Gillette’s psychosis was such that he was initially ruled incompetent to stand trial, a ruling that was reversed only after he had been treated with medication, Wilson said. Gillette no longer experienced delusions; his behavior had improved.

Addressing the judge, Gillette also attributed his behavior to mental illness. He expressed remorse and said that, if given probation, he would work to help others with mental illness.

But Salt Lake County Deputy District Attorney Sandi Johnson said Gillette had known he had bipolar disorder since he was 10 and had stopped taking medication when he turned 18. He used illegal drugs, lived in a flop house, and ignored his mental illness.

"This was a series of choices by Mr. Gillete," Johnson said. "He prepared the bomb, he lit the fuse, and then when it went off, now he wants to say, ‘I wasn’t responsible for that.’"

Then Waters asked the judge to impose a harsh penalty.

"My daugther deserves justice," she said. "Please consider rendering a sentence that you would give to someone who had taken your own daughter’s life."

In handing down her sentence, Lindberg acknowledged Gillette’s remorse and lamented that the case had no good outcome.

"While I believe you probably were feeling paranoid on that day, the series of choices you made before that day and on that day ultimately cost a life," Lindberg said. "I simply cannot ignore that."

Lindberg sentenced Gillette to serve up to five years for both of the felonies, recommending he be given credit for the three-and-a-half years he had served since the accident.

"Grief doesn’t go away. It just gets less with time," Waters said after the sentencing. "We’ll always miss Julie."

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.