Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Crews near full containment of Levan Wildfire

First Published Jul 31 2014 07:07AM      Last Updated Jul 31 2014 09:02 am

Crews expected to complete digging containment lines around central Utah’s Levan Wildfire by week’s end, thanks to timely rainstorms and painstaking labors by an army of nearly 500 firefighters.

Fire Information Officer Dorothy Harvey said the blaze had blackened 4,343 acres of Juab County’s rugged high desert terrain since beginning July 24 about a mile south of the town of Levan. By Wednesday evening, it was 95 percent contained.

Harvey said the rainfall had helped douse hot spots overnight, though the danger of mudslides increased, she said. "But firefighters did what firefighters do — they persevered."

Still, for all its difficulties, the downpour also "drowned the fire," Harvey said, noting that crews intended to focus now on completing fire lines, beginning soil rehabilitation work and undertaking some road repairs.



The cost for fighting the Levan Wildfire continued to rise, however. As of Wednesday, Harvey said, the price tag had topped $3.7 million.

No structures have been lost and only two minor firefighter injuries had been reported, Harvey said.

While the fire was believed human-caused, it remained under investigation.

The human-caused, 140-acre Spring Canyon Fire, smoldering about a mile east of Springville, remained 90 percent contained.

remims@sltrib.com

Twitter: @remims

 

 

 

 

comments powered by Disqus