Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Salt Lake City police nab violent ex-con in alleged RV kidnap
Domestic abuse history » Court records show attempted murder guilty plea in ’96 wife shooting.
First Published Jul 30 2014 09:11 am • Last Updated Jul 30 2014 09:03 pm

An ex-con with a history of domestic violence — including a 1996 incident where he shot and wounded his then-wife — has been arrested by Salt Lake City police for allegedly holding another woman against her will in his RV.

SLCPD Detective Veronica Montoya said William Steven Chaney, 53, was arrested Tuesday and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of first-degree felony aggravated kidnapping; second-degree felony domestic violence/aggravated assault; and third-degree felony counts of possession of methamphetamine and mayhem.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Chaney, according to 3rd District Court records, pleaded guilty in 1996 to second-degree felony attempted murder for shooting his wife in the leg and then engaging in an armed standoff with police that ended with officers shooting him in the chest.

About 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Chaney’s 36-year-old girlfriend called SLCPD from a Salt Lake City hospital to report she had been kidnapped and held for four days in the RV she shared with Chaney. When she tried to leave, he allegedly threatened and assaulted her, kicking her in the face and cutting one of her fingers.

The woman said Chaney also stole her cellphone to keep her from calling for help. On Tuesday, however, he dropped her off at a hospital to get stitches in her finger, and that is when police were called.

Police located Chaney at the RV, which was parked near 2000 South and 900 West. Officers allegedly recovered the methamphetamine from Chaney’s pocket during his arrest.

In addition to the felony counts, Chaney also was under a federal hold order relating to alleged parole violation.

Chaney has been in and out of Utah State Prison over the past decade, according to Utah Department of Corrections spokewoman Brooke Adams.

He was paroled in 2004 after serving less than eight years on the attempted murder count, but was back behind bars for a parole violation in May 2006, being released once more seven months later. In November 2007, though, another parole violation put him back in prison.

He was again released in May 2008, only to return on a parole violation in September 2009. In January 2011, Chaney was turned over the U.S. Marshals and released on supervised probation in late July 2012 until late June of this year.

story continues below
story continues below


Twitter: @remims

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.