Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Trent Nelson | The Salt Lake Tribune) Onlookers watch as a fire burns near homes in Draper on Saturday.
Police: Utah man killed self in explosive house fire
First Published Jul 29 2014 12:41 pm • Last Updated Jul 29 2014 08:38 pm

A Draper man started an explosive house fire on Friday after sending a note to friends and family saying he was ready to kill himself, police said Tuesday.

Paul Broadhurst, 40 — who died Friday night — was the only one home when the house at 15082 S. Junction Circle (235 East) ignited.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Draper police Deputy Chief John Eining said authorities believe Broadhurst started the fire to end his life. Eining did not release specific language from the suicide note.

Police and fire crews responded to the house fire at 7:25 a.m. Friday, according to police.

At 7:32 a.m., police, who were already on the scene, received a request from an undisclosed source to check the welfare of Broadhurst, police said Tuesday.

Investigators found accelerant in several spots in the suburban home, said Fire Authority battalion chief Brian Anderton.

Broadhurst died Friday night at the University Hospital burn unit in Salt Lake City, according to a statement issued by his family that also thanked medical personnel who assisted him and asked for privacy during the grieving process.

An investigation was continuing. However, authorities don’t expect to find more evidence because the blaze gutted the home, Anderton said.

"With the fuel that was used to light it, it almost had an explosive property," he said without elaborating.

The fiery blast sent debris crashing into nearby homes, and authorities ordered evacuations as a precaution. Glass, toys and debris littered the yard.

story continues below
story continues below

Sean Miner, who lives next door to the charred home, said he heard a boom and saw an injured man stumble to a screen door and fall.

The man was covered in soot and blood, he said. Helicopters and fire crews arrived moments later.

David Politis, who lives a block away, said he heard the blast and ran to help. He saw two men surrounding another whose clothes had burned off. He gave a blanket and water to the injured man before crews arrived, he told The Salt Lake Tribune.

— The Associated Press contributed to this story.


Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.