Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Rick Egan | The Salt Lake Tribune) Firefighters spray hot spots on a business at 2481 South 1060 West in Woods Cross, Friday, July 25, 2014
Blow torch’s gas caused Woods Cross business fire
Public Safety » Natural gas feeder lines came apart as flames spread, fueling the fire.
First Published Jul 26 2014 03:56 pm • Last Updated Jul 26 2014 10:15 pm

A gas bottle fueling a blow torch apparently led to the fire that destroyed a Woods Cross business.

The Overhead Door Co. at 2481 S. 1560 West went up in flames Friday afternoon, an estimated $1 million loss, at least. Investigators announced Saturday that it appears the two-alarm fire was an accident, one started with a gas fire and fueled by the gas lines that run along the roof.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Employees were using a cutting torch to cut large garage door springs when they heard a popping noise behind them, and turned to see the acetylene bottle fueling the torch was on fire around the valve, according to a statement from the South Davis Metro Fire Department. The flames spread to a wood workbench and to the large wood spools above it, fueling the fire to the roof.

There was a 2-inch natural gas feeder line that ran the length of the roof, one that had several feeder lines branching from it, that were pulled apart once the roof trusses collapsed. Gas flowed into the building and fueled the fire, the statement adds.

Investigators have not determined why the acetylene bottle caught fire. They intended to investigate the matter further, which will take "an undetermined amount of time," the statement reads.

Firefighters had responded to a call about the fire at 4:50 p.m. Friday, said Jeff Bassett, fire chief for South Davis Metro Fire. Six employees were inside Overhead Door when the fire broke out; all made it out safely, Bassett said.

Crews surrounded the burning building and doused it with water, protecting other structures from the fire. Crews knocked down the fire by 10 p.m., and stayed the night to put out hot spots.

The building is a total loss and would likely need to be completely demolished, Bassett said.

In all, 58 firefighters, two ladder trucks, seven engines and an ambulance responded to the fire, Bassett said. Crews from Salt Lake City, Kaysville, Farmington, Layton, Sunset and South Weber fire departments were on the scene. One firefighter suffered a head injury that required stitches during the blaze.

mmcfall@sltrib.com


story continues below
story continues below

Twitter: @mikeypanda



Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment


About Reader Comments


Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Videos
Jobs
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.