Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune) As seen from the Homer farm on East Wanship Road, an aircraft banks to make another pass over the Rockport Fire that has caused evacuations, Friday, July 25, 2014.
Crews gaining on wildfire that forced evacuations in Summit County
First Published Jul 25 2014 03:40 pm • Last Updated Aug 02 2014 09:54 am

Wanship • Vicki Peppler cannot believe it happened again.

Like last year, Peppler was driving back to her home on Crestview Drive in Summit County’s Rockport Estates after an errand, when she found out that a wildfire had blocked her way on State Road 32. And like last year, her thoughts were with her three dogs, who she could not retrieve from her house yet.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

"It’s living the nightmare again," Peppler said at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints building in Wanship, which was serving as a shelter for evacuees.

This new fire, unlike the lightning-sparked Rockport 5 Fire that destroyed eight homes last August, started in a "yurt-type structure," said Tyler Rowser, spokesman for the North Summit Fire District. By 8 p.m., the fire had been 45 percent contained and had scorched 120 acres, fire officials said.

How the fire started in the structure was still under investigation.

The Summit County Sheriff’s Office reported the fire on Twitter at 3:14 p.m. Friday. Deputies went door and door and asked more than 200 residents to leave Rockport Estates, echoing the evacuation many experienced last year. Fire officials lifted the evacuation orders at 9:45 p.m.

"It’s been burning down toward the southeast, so it’s been burning downhill away from the Promontory subdivision," Rowser said.

The Rockport 5 Fire came within six inches of a shed near Lucy Cella and her husband Ron’s cabin. This fire started nearby as well, in a yurt they say is occupied only part of the year.

At least this year, the wind seems to be blowing flames away from their home and toward the landfill, Ron Cella said.

They’ve talked about selling, though they love the place.

story continues below
story continues below

"We didn’t think it could happen again," Lucy Cella said.

Besides urging people to evacuate, officials had also closed State Road 32 from Rockport Dam to Brown’s Canyon Road.

In addition to firefighters from three departments, the U.S. Forest Service was also helping fight the flames. Three planes and a helicopter aided ground crews.


Twitter: @mikeypanda

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.