Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) Unified Fire and emergency personnel respond to an explosion and fire in Junction Circle in Draper Friday July 25.
Gas explosion levels home in Draper
Rubble » A helicopter flew one person to a hospital.
First Published Jul 25 2014 08:05 am • Last Updated Aug 02 2014 09:54 am

Draper • Two hours after he heard the boom and his neighbor’s house exploded, James Banford was able to see the south side of his own Draper home for the first time.

The police tape that had cordoned his cul-de-sac was taken down for just a few moments, so he treaded lightly over black ash and broken glass that had collected in his yard, and looked up.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

All of the siding on his house had melted. The window in their bedroom was blown out. The fence that separated his home from his neighbors was gone. He pointed to a bare area in his backyard — a patio once stood there.

"I’m in shock," he said as he faced his home and surveyed the damage.

Behind him, Unified Fire Authority crews worked to douse hot spots at his neighbor’s house, near 15000 South and 235 East. The explosion and subsequent fire at the home was reported just after 7:20 a.m.

"My wife and I were sleeping," Banford said. "We [heard] a tremendous, I mean a tremendous, explosion."

Two hours after the explosion, only the two-story home’s frame and foundation remained. Jared Norton, a public information officer for Unified Fire Authority, said the cause and origin of the two-alarm fire are under investigation. Draper city officials said in a tweet that the fire was caused by a gas explosion.

UFA spokesman Chris Atkin said Friday morning that a helicopter flew one burn victim to a hospital, but he had no other details about the extent of his injuries.

David Politis, who lives one street west, said he heard an explosion and ran outside to help. He saw two men surrounding another man, whose clothes had been burned off.

"I wasn’t worried about what happened [to the house]," said Politis, who gave a blanket and water to the injured man before emergency crews arrived. "I was concerned with bringing aid and comfort to him."

story continues below
story continues below

Neighbors said the man’s family was away and he was the only one in the house at the time of the explosion.


Twitter: @jm_miller


Twitter: @PamelaMansonSLC

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.