Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune) Charlotte's Web cannabis buds and leaves arrive at the Realm of Caring's lab in vaccum sealed bags and stored in bins to protect them from light, which can cause them to chemically degrade, October 25, 2014.
Coming soon to Utah liquor stores: cannabis oils?
Health » Change would help parents of children with epilepsy avoid trips to Colorado.
First Published Jul 27 2014 01:01 am • Last Updated Jul 28 2014 07:29 am

A state senator who co-sponsored the bill legalizing the possession of cannabis extracts to treat children with epilepsy is considering ways to make it easier for Utah parents to get the oils, including potentially making them available at state liquor stores.

Sen. Steve Urquhart, R-St. George, says the problem parents face now is that it is still technically illegal under federal law for them to possess or transport the oils, which are extracts from marijuana plants high in a chemical called cannabidiol (CBD) but with almost all of the psychotropic ingredient THC removed.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

Many Utah parents plan to drive to — or import the oils from — neighboring Colorado.

The federal government has stated it doesn’t plan to crack down on those complying with state law. But, Urquhart says, rather than expose these parents to possible action by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, he would consider having the state import the oils and make them available at liquor stores across Utah.

"We’re trying to look for ways to help these parents out. We realize this is a really rough situation they’re in and a really rough situation for their kids. … Have we been helpful enough or should we go further?" Urquhart says. "Obviously, if they can get it, but get it in the state with the state’s blessing, then that’s probably easier than having them have to travel."

Selling the oils at liquor stores would give the state control and oversight over the products. Distributing them through pharmacies, he says, could pose a problem since the transport is illegal and pharmacists could have bank accounts seized and lose their licenses if the DEA decided to clamp down.

"Right now, DEA seems pretty hands off on CBD oil, but nothing guarantees they’re going to remain that way," Urquhart says. "So this is one of those states’ rights bills, where we have parents who are suffering, we have children who are suffering, we think the federal laws are blind to their plight, so as a state we’re going to authorize certain things."

Urquhart’s efforts on their behalf continue to win praise from parents of these Utah children.

"He’s doing some amazing work. He’s just looking at all the different angles," says Jennifer May, co-founder of Hope 4 Children with Epilepsy, a group that advocated for "Charlee’s Law," named for a 6-year-old girl who died days after the Legislature passed the bill.

Urquhart sponsored the measure, which made it legal to possess the CBD oils, extracted from hemp plants, to treat severe seizures in children suffering from epilepsy.

story continues below
story continues below

The law includes tight restrictions and licensing by the Utah Department of Health to possess the oils. To be approved, parents have to pay $400 and provide certification from a neurologist that the child has intractable epilepsy and that the oils could help, along with a brief medical history.

So far, the department has issued six hemp oil-registration cards, according to spokesman Tom Hudachko.

Getting the specially tailored oils, however, has proven to be more difficult.

One of the leading producers, Realm of Caring, based in Colorado Springs, received a growers’ license under Colorado’s recently passed hemp law, but the plants — banded with bar codes and names of children for whom the products are destined — are still growing and the oils won’t be ready for weeks if not months.

Some parents are getting their cards and waiting for that oil to be available, May says. Others are looking elsewhere.

Realm of Caring plans to begin shipping the oils to patients’ homes in late October, May says, although technically "they still are breaking federal law by doing that."

"If something happens where they’re not able to ship it," she says, "then we’ll have car pools to Colorado."

The nonprofit Realm of Caring is working on importing products made from hemp grown outside the United States — which would be legal — but that won’t be available until next spring.

Primary Children’s Medical Center is also about to launch a study to measure the effects and benefits of pharmaceutical-grade cannabis, manufactured by British drugmaker GW Pharmaceuticals. Twenty-five children will be accepted into the study. May’s group provided the researchers with 45 names of kids, and others who applied directly to the hospital will be considered as well.

Ultimately, May suggests, the entire process — from growing the plants to extracting and providing the oils — could be done in Utah.

"Ideally, we’d like to keep it all in Utah," May says. "We’d like it if Utah State University would grow all the plants and process the material here under [its research license]."

Next Page >

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.