Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Drought leads to water restrictions in S. Utah
First Published Jul 16 2014 12:29 pm • Last Updated Jul 19 2014 01:10 pm

St. George, Utah • Spurred by ongoing drought conditions that have greatly diminished water levels in the Virgin River and its tributaries, many farmers and residents in southern Utah will no longer be able to use water from the river.

The Spectrum of St. George reports (http://bit.ly/1yrttmE) that only people with water rights going dating back earlier than 1900 will be able to divert water to irrigate crops, grow pastures and give animals drinking water.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment

The Utah Department of Natural Resources sent a letter earlier this month alerting people to the changes. State officials attribute the action to extremely dry conditions over the last three years.

Assistant state engineer Jared Manning said at a meeting Tuesday in St. George that officials will monitor the river and modify rules based on stream flows.


Information from: The Spectrum, http://www.thespectrum.com

Copyright 2014 The Salt Lake Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Top Reader Comments Read All Comments Post a Comment
Click here to read all comments   Click here to post a comment

About Reader Comments

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
Staying Connected
Contests and Promotions
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Access your e-Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.